Thursday, August 4, 2011

Leftover Meat?? Make TAMALES

I didn't make my own tamales for years. I heard they were hard to make. When I finally broke down and made them, it was w-a-y easier than I expected. It is one of my favorite ways to use leftover rotisserie chicken, pork, pot roast, etc. I don't buy those corn husks you have to soak; I just use parchment paper cut into roughly 10" x 10" squares. I'll include my inexpensive idea for a steamer at the end of the recipe. I recommend buying a large can of Las Palmas Green Enchilada Sauce (medium) for a nice sauce on top.

Leftover Meat?? Make TAMALES

Ingredients:
3 cups masa  (instant yellow corn masa flour)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons smoked paprika

Directions:
Scoop 3 tablespoons of the dough into the parchment paper.  Press it into a rectangle shape.  Put some meat (1-2 ounces) down the middle of the rectangle. Fold one end over to the middle.  Fold over the remaining end to cover any exposed meat. Wrap the parchment paper around the tamale "burrito style"-like a gift. The recipe makes 12-14 large tamales. Place the tamales in a covered steamer and simmer for 40 minutes.  Recipe halves well.

Steamer Hint:  Take a very large pot (spaghetti size) and place a collapsible, metal steamer in the large pot.  Pour 1-2 inches of water in the pot. Layer the tamales evenly on their sides, so they all fit in the pot and stay balanced. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Be sure to check on the water level occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment