Thanksgiving in a Meatball
- 2 lbs ground turkey defrosted
- 1-6 ounce package cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 cup of water
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 large onion diced and caramelized in 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or rubbed sage
- 1-14 ounce can of jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup grape jelly
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the cornbread stuffing mix, water, eggs and sage. Let soften in bowl for 3-5 minutes. Add the ground turkey and onion. Mix well. Make 1/3 cup meatballs. It makes 28 meatballs. Place the meatballs on a large sheet pan with sides. Bake for 22-27 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked and browned.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the jellied cranberry, grape jelly and balsamic vinegar. Heat gently until cranberry jelly melts and the sauce is smooth. You can use an immersion blender to combine the ingredients. Heat until warm. Serve in individual small bowls for dipping the turkey meatballs. Yield: serves 6
Notes:When I told my friends and family about my latest, recipe creation, Thanksgiving in a Meatball, the reactions ranged from "Interesting." to "OK, Mom?". After eating the meatballs, the response changed to, "I like these better than regular meatballs. They're lighter!"